On May 2, 1974 a potluck dinner was held at the Old Corral in Centennial to discuss becoming a Bicentennial Community and forming a Historical Association. The first meeting of that association was held on June 17, 1974. On September 29, 1974 land on the south side of Highway 130 just east of town was obtained from Emma Sundby Wilson and work began to gather buildings to move to the newly acquired land.
Through the next 30 years, the museum acquired an impressive collection of local buildings:
- The 1907 Laramie Hahn’s Peak & Pacific Railroad’s Centennial depot
- Log Barn from the Engen Ranch
- The original log building used as the first fire station which now houses a blacksmith shop exhibit
- The one room Buckeye School
- Beehive Sawdust Burner
- A Union Pacific Caboose